Monday, January 19, 2015

Are They Crazy??

One thing we've noticed around here, is that Alaskans are either really brave, tough, rugged people... or they are plain crazy!!

Take, for example, Fat Tire Bicycles.  I had never heard of them before and when I googled them, my results came up with tons of images for them on the beach.  The wider tire is great for riding your bike through the sandy beaches.  That makes PERFECT sense to me.

But Alaskans use it for major transportation around town.  Its not just kids trying to get outside to play. Plenty adults are very serious about it and don't own a car, just their bike to get them where they need to go. You will often see someone riding their fat tire bike, with groceries dangling off the handle bars. The wider tire gives better traction in the snow and ice. You can even buy studded bike tires.  That just cracks me up for some reason.
Brrrr

More power to them, really.  But I really like my heater in my car (even though it really hasn't gotten THAT cold, yet). And I really don't like FRIGID air in my face.  Then, add my klutziness as a factor and I really don't think this would be a safe choice for me.  

I think they are crazy!!


This is something we think is pretty cool.  Maybe its because I know so many "skaters" in Arizona that I appreciate this.  Or maybe its because of my life in Vermont and Utah with all all my skiing and snow boarding friends... but this makes a lot more sense to me.  Its a skate board - minus the wheels, with a ski added to the bottom... a "SnowSkate".  We've seen a few of Zach's friends ride them several weeks ago (when we had fresh snow and no ice).  Who ever came up with this is genius if you ask me!  


No comments:

Post a Comment